Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rain, rain go away, and other things I have to say

When I moved to Portland from the east coast, one of the many reasons was because snow didn't fall here often. Because I hate snow. I hate it a lot.


I don't think it's beautiful. I think it's cold. And gross. And annoying. I hate it when it's sunny and there's snow out because it hurts my eyes, even with sunglasses. It impinges on my schedule. Actually, I don't so much keep a schedule as I do a list of things in my head that I will get to when I get to them and I may procrastinate but at least I know what I want to do and when I want to do them. Is that a schedule? I think it's more OCD.)


Yesterday we had snow. It washed away quickly. Now it's raining. And warm. I like it a lot.


But it's pouring. Like buckets of mop water, overturned.


I have to do my long run tomorrow for several reasons, none of which I feel like getting into. It's supposed to be just this rainy tomorrow morning. I fear that I will need to run in Hunter boots.


But I just can't handle doing 10+ miles on a dreadmill. I have friends who have done 20+ miles on one. I think that's insane. Even though when I first started running, I only was on a treadmill, that was no more than 5 miles and even then I had to stop it frequently because of 1) boredom and 2) out-of-shape-itude.


So I guess  I will have to venture out and get soaked. That's all right. I've got this thing to train for.


In other, rare non-running news, I'm also a writer. I have a day job (their work) and a night job (my work). I've written a novel and I'm shopping it out to agents. I've gotten reactions from no reaction to partial requests to full requests. I've gotten some lovely feedback in my rejection letters.


Anyway, I wanted to call out Deborah Camp, who has published more than 40 books--and whose motto is " "Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim for it!"


Even though I kind of hate the pool, she has a point. 


Make it happen. Running, writing, scheduling, whatever.


I don't know that I'd ever have 40 books in me, but I've got several and would love to have that kind of audience.


What are your dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment